Admission Requirements and Application Procedure
To be eligible to apply, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant has completed Didactic Program in Dietetics academic requirements.
- Applicant must have received either an "intent to Complete" form or a "Verification Statement" from their Didactic Program in Dietetics.
- Applicant (has or will have) completed a B.S. or B.A. degree by 8/14/21 (for 2021-2022 class)
- Applicant has earned an overall grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0 out of 4.0 and an average of at least a 3.0 out of 4.0 in professional courses.
- Applicant has had experience (paid or unpaid) in a food, nutrition or dietetic setting.
- Applicants must provide results of "Test of English as a Foreign Language" (TOEFL) that meet UMD required English Proficiency scores for any applicant “if English is not your native language, regardless of your citizenship” as described at: https://www.admissions.umd.edu/apply/admission-requirements/international-applicant-requirements/english-language-proficiency.
- While a passing TOEFL/IELTS score is the only absolute way a student can meet the English proficiency requirement, we may consider waiving the TOEFL/IELTS requirement if a student has completed one of the following – see site for full list. https://www.admissions.umd.edu/apply/admission-requirements/international-applicant-requirements/english-language-proficiency
All Applicants MUST:
1. Complete DICAS online application:
- This program is using the on-line centralized internship application, DICAS. (NOTE: DICAS will be available after December 1, 2020 for the Spring 2021 match); email: DICASinfo@DICAS.org. The on-line application must be completed for our program by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on February 15, 2021.
- When completing the on-line application form, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an e-mail address) for each reference. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. Students submitting more than one application will need to use the same individuals as references for each application.
- Official Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to:
P.O. Box 9118
Watertown, MA 02472
- Applicants who apply to internships using DICAS will be asked to complete a personal statement in 1,000 words or less. Questions to be addressed in the personal statement include:
1. Why do you want to enter the dietetics profession?
2. What are some experiences that have helped to prepare you for your
3. What are your short-term and long-term goals?
4. What are your strengths and weaknesses or areas needing
- Answer two additional personal statement questions in the on-line DICAS supplemental section:
1. How has your education and experience prepared you for THIS
internship, i.e. Why are you applying to THIS program?
2. Provide a description of your existing information management/
computer technology skills?
- Spring 2021 match timeline details can be reviewed at the AND's Computer Matching Calendar.
2. Submit the University of Maryland supplemental form and application fee to the University of Maryland as described below. This form must be postmarked by February 15, 2021.
- Additional form for International Students described in application forms section of this website.
- A $40 check, made out to "University of Maryland," covering the application fee must be received by midnight on February 15, 2021 for applicant consideration. Application fee with a self-addressed stamped post card (to notify applicant fee has been received) should be mailed to:
Department of Nutrition and Food Science
University of Maryland
0112 Skinner Building
College Park, MD 20742
Please consider mailing this information via registered mail to assure it is received.
New procedure due to Covid-19:
TAKE a picture of the check before posting to the mail.
Email this picture to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of "UMD applicant - [your last name, your first name]. It is recommended that you mail your application and check no later than February 1 since mail service has recently been delayed.
3. Computer Matching
Applicants must also register on-line for computer matching and select dietetic internship priority choices by 11:59 p.m. Central Time on February 15, 2021. There is a $55.00 computer matching fee. Please see the D&D Digital website for information.
4. Applicant Interviews
Be available, if selected, for an online interview during late February and early March.