The College of Agriculture and Natural Resources requires mandatory advising each semester. Each semester you will receive a notice from the Registrar telling you the date and time that you can sign up for classes for the following semester. At that point, you should contact your academic advisor to arrange an advising appointment. You will not be able to register for classes until you have met with your advisor.

You are encouraged to contact your academic advisor at any time during the semester if you need assistance. You can find your advisor below based on your major and the first letter of your last name. If you have questions related to the 4-year plan, or technical aspects of course selection, connect with one of our NFSC Peer Mentors today.

Faculty Advisors

Nutritional Science (1306H)

Shaik Rahaman


SKN 3108


Diana Obanda


MMH 3209B


Seong-Ho Lee


MMH 3307


Food Science (1130)

Qin Wang


SKN 3106


Liangli(Lucy) Yu 


MMH 3303


Abani Pradhan


MMH  3309


Rohan Tikekar


MMH 3407 


Dietetics (1307D)

Dr. David Lei

A - Fo

SKN 0121


Dr. Hee-Jung Song G - Moo MMH 3301


Dr. Margaret Udahogora

Mor - Sa

SKN 0125


Dr. Nadine Sahyoun

Sc - Zu

SKN 102C


Fermentation Science (1131)

Dr. Rohan Tikekar                                                           MMH 3102                                            



Change Your Major

Interested in changing your major to the Department of Nutrition and Food Science at the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources? Click the link below to learn about what you need to do.

Change your major

Exceptions to Academic Policy

AGNR Exception to Academic Policy

AGNR academic policies and deadlines are crafted by the college to ensure integrity and provide equity for all students. “Exceptions to Policy” are not appropriate solutions for problems students can avoid by taking personal responsibility.

AGNR considers granting “Exceptions” to students who have made a diligent effort to work within the requirements but who encounter problems that are clearly beyond their control. See the Policy Exceptions FAQs for additional information.

  • Exceptions are only given in “rare and extraordinary circumstances” in which a problem is “out of the control of a student and not predictable.”  Requests are not guaranteed and are considered on a case-by-case basis.
  • A written explanation detailing the reasons behind the request is mandatory. Take the time before submitting a request to develop a clear, thoughtful, and concise presentation. Explain what the problem is, the origin of the problem, and how you will fix this type of problem in the future. Submission of falsified documentation will result in a referral to the Office of Student Conduct.
  • AGNR does not make exceptions for poor judgment, poor performance, or forgetfulness.  It is your responsibility to know and adhere to all academic policies.  A complete guide to academic policy can be found in the UMD Undergraduate Catalog

It takes time to arrive at a fair decision; therefore, do not assume your request will be granted. Take whatever actions are necessary in the event your request may be denied. Requests generally take between 5 – 7 business days (does not include Saturday and Sunday) to process and are reviewed in the order they are received.

You will be notified via email when your request has been completed. For all inquiries and questions about your exception(s), or to check on the status of your request(s), email: 

PLEASE NOTE:  For those with double majors/double degrees:  You should be filing a policy exception request with AGNR only if AGNR is your primary advising College.  By viewing your unofficial transcript, you will be able to see which degree is your primary.

Policy exception request form

Permission to Enroll at Another Institution

If you wish to take a course at another institution and have that course and its credits transfer back into the University of Maryland, you are required to submit a “Permission to Enroll” (PTE) form with the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (AGNR).  This form acknowledges the following:

  1.   The credit will be counted towards your total number of degree credits

  2.   The course will transfer back as an approved UMD equivalent course*

  3.   You have permission by AGNR to apply this course to your UMD degree requirements

*Not all transfer courses have UMD equivalents; please see your advisor and/or AGNR to determine how the course will be applied to your major/degree.

This form acts as evidence of permission from Maryland to take the course. Some institutions will require this paperwork in order for students to register. Typically, courses are taken during the summer or winter terms. 

Complete the online Permission to Enroll.

PLEASE read the instructions and rules associated with the form. 

Please Note:  This form will first be sent for initial approval by your Academic Advisor.  After he/she approves it, it will be sent to AGNR Academic Programs for final approval.  This process may take up to 7 business days to complete. You will be notified via email when the form has been approved by AGNR Academic Programs.

Major Requirements

Along with all departments at the University of Maryland, the Department of Nutrition and Food Science has four-year plans for the four options within the undergraduate major of Nutrition and Food Science.  Students who follow these plans should be able to graduate in four years.  Please see your Faculty Advisor if you need assistance modifying your plan.

NFSC Concentration

(click for more information)

Major Code

CORE 4 Year Plan (Prior to Fall 2012)

General Education 4 Year Plan (After Fall 2012)
Dietetics 1307D Pdf Pdf
Food Science 01130 Pdf Pdf
Nutritional Science 1306H Pdf Pdf
Fermentation Science 01131   Pdf