NFSC Undergraduate FAQs

How do I change my major to Nutrition and Food Science (NFSC)?

You will have to schedule an appointment with the advisor (see below), complete a four-year plan, and attend an AGNR Change of Major workshop.  Please contact Academic Programs in 0107 Symons if you have any questions about the workshop.  You can view all major requirements by viewing the four-year plan.

For Dietetics option: Please contact Dr. Margaret Udahogora, the Director of dietetics program

For Food Science or Nutritional Science option: Please contact Ms. Sara Kao, the Assistant Director of academic program


What is a minor and what are my options?

A minor is an approved, limited, structured concentration in a field of study outside of your major. Not all academic programs offer minors. For a list of minors please visit the UMD Course Catalog.

The NFSC department does not currently offer a minor. Students are free to pursue any of the minors listed regardless of their current major or department, so long as they can meet both sets of requirements.

How can I add a second major or minor?

To add a double major or double degree, you must first submit a Double major/double degree form. To submit the form, first collect signatures from the NFSC Undergraduate Office, the College of AGNR Academic Programs Office, and the advising office of the second major program. Part of the process is determining which will be your primary major; this is the department which will maintain your records and certification of general education requirements. If you are interested in double majoring, we recommend declaring as soon as possible so as not to further delay graduation.

Please note: if you wish to add a Limited Enrollment Program as a second major, you must do so at the earliest possible opportunity to assure that specific credit and GPA requirements can be met.

What is the difference between a double degree and a double major?

A double major requires students to complete all requirements of the two majors within a total of the normal total of 120 credits that undergraduates must earn. At graduation, the student will earn one degree and the student’s transcript will indicate the completion of major requirements for both majors. 

Double degrees are more ambitious, and require the completion of 150 credits while completing the degree requirements for two majors. At graduation, students will be awarded two degrees and the student’s transcript will indicate the completion of major requirements for both majors and the awarding of two bachelor’s degrees. More information about double majors/degrees can be found within the student's major college.

I have an Associate's Degree - how does that affect my program requirements?

If you have a verified Associate's Degree (AA) from a Maryland institution, you do not have to complete all individual General Education requirements; however, you must still complete all ANSC required courses, even if they also fulfill a Gen Ed requirement. You will also need to complete a Professional Writing (PW) course at UMD. 

Please note: that this policy only applies to verified AAs from a Maryland Institution. Out of state AAs do not qualify.

How do I find my registration time?

Registration times can be viewed by clicking the Appointment and Registration link on Testudo. Your registration time represents the earliest time you can register, but you can register at any point after that time/date, once your advising block is cleared.

Please note: Your registration time does NOT represent a meeting time with your faculty mentor or group advising session.

I want to take a course at another institution. What is the process?

Before enrolling to take a course at another institution a student must first receive permission from their college/department and verify the course will transfer by viewing the Transfer Credit Center website. All requests to take courses at another institution are reviewed by process of a Permission to Enroll Form. The permission to enroll form is available online

Internship Opportunities

How can I find information on student internships/jobs?

Resources and internship listings:

  • Get some ideas from browsing the NFSC internship opportunities page.
  • READ the emails that are sent to the NFSC and AGNR listservs. This is the primary way that the most current internship and job opportunities are posted!
  • College of AGNR website(link is external) features jobs and internships with an agricultural focus.
  • Visit the University Career Center(link is external)! They have extensive listings of a variety of internships, as well as holding workshops and career fairs.
  • Your advisor can be a good resource on jobs and internships. Make an appointment with them to talk about your career aspirations; at the very least they can point you in the right direction.

For research opportunities in NFSC Faculty laboratories:

  • Start by visiting the NFSC Faculty Directory.
  • Choose a faculty member and click on their name to be taken to their bio page and read about their areas of research, and the work being done in their lab. If the information on their bio page interests you, you can contact these professors by email in order to learn more about their projects and if they are currently looking to hire students.
  • If you want to do research with one of the NFSC professors, you should know that professors often choose their research students months in advance, so get started talking to professors early!


How do students get academic credit for internships? (NFSC386 or NFSC498A)

There are opportunities available for NFSC students to gain academic credit for internships. Here are the things you need to do.

  1. Identify an NFSC faculty (usually is your advisor) member to be their sponsor. This is the person who will review the final scholarly product and give the student a grade.
  2. Discuss with the faculty member what the expectations for the scholarly product will be, and make sure both parties agree.
  3. Determine how many credit hours the student will work. The approximate calculation (based on a normal UMD semester length) is 5 hours per week per credit
  4. Faculty member has to send a request email to Sara Kao and then students will be given permission to register for the designated faculty member's specific section.

You should discuss the info below with your advisor:

  1. List your specific job responsibilities
  2. What do you expect to learn from this experience? How does this apply to your career goals?
  3. When and how will your performance be evaluated at your internship site?
  4. Describe the academic component of the experience (paper, journal, research, etc.)